When a parent or another loved one starts to age and become vulnerable, the need for help with daily tasks becomes more of a necessity than a want. Activities of daily living such as meal preparation, medication reminders, food shopping and safety checks are necessary as your loved one becomes frail. Children, grandchildren, and family members often get more involved at this stage, but they often find themselves busy with their own obligations, and more often than not, live far away. While one might feel guilty about assigning these tasks to someone else, you’ll find that it frees you up to spend more meaningful time with your parent.
It’s easy to feel overwhelmed!
As we are right in the middle of summer and many of us are thinking about traveling abroad, going on vacation or visiting our cottages. This, of course, means leaving seniors alone.
Here is a checklist of how to plan for senior care:
- Assess how often will you need care, will it be a few hours a day to check in for safety and replenish food supplies or is it a live in caregiver during that time period?
- What types of skills will the caregiver need? Is it basic companionship does your loved one have more complex needs like dementia care?
- Do you need a caregiver with transportation to take your loved one to an appointment or shopping for food?
- What kind of equipment is necessary? Hospital bed? Scooter?Walker? Ramps? Commode? Medication dispensing machine?
- How do you want to stay in touch while you are away? Using technology to bridge distances has been of great value to families, such as what Mavencare provides.
For many of us, the challenges of caring for an elderly is part of our everyday life. Caregiving is hard both physically and emotionally. Getting a break is crucial for both you and your loved one. Before hiring professional help, such as Mavencare, you should ask these questions:
- What are the qualifications of your caregivers?
- How do you screen your caregivers?
- How can we as the family communicate with the professional help while we are away?
- How do you manage emergencies?
- If the care needs, such as different hours, are needed, can we adjust the care hours?
- What is the cost of services? How is payment arranged?
At Mavencare, there is nothing that is more important than the quality of care that your elderly loved one will receive. Mavencare will give you the peace of mind to be able for you to go get your rest and vacation time. Our technology creates accountability by transparency no matter where in the world you are travelling!
Short Term Vacation Coverage
Next time you go on vacation, try Mavencare's short-term vacation coverage. Get your first 3hrs free!